In sanskrit, Ushtra means camel and asana means a pose. In this asana doer assumes the shape of camel.
How to do Ushtrasana
- Kneel down on the yoga mat and place your hands on the hips.
- Yours knees and shoulders should be in the same line and the sole of your feet should be facing the ceiling.
- Inhale slowly as you draw your tail-bone in towards the pubis as if being pulled from the navel.
- Simultaneously, arch your back and slide your palms over your feet till the arms are straight.
- Don’t strain or flex your neck, keep it in a neutral position.
- Hold in this position for about 30 seconds to 60 seconds approximately. Breathe normally during the process.
- Breathe out, slowly release by detaching your hands from the soles of your feet.
- Gradually lift your arms away from your legs and come back to the initial pose.
Benefits of Ushtrasana
- Strengthens the back and the shoulders
- Relieves low back pain
- Improves flexibility of the spine and corrects the posture
- Improves digestion
- Helps to overcome menstrual discomfort and menstrual disorders
- Stretches and opens up the chest, helps in proper functioning of chest organs
- Effective remedy in spondylitis, asthma, thyroid disease, diabetes, bronchitis, dyspepsia, constipation, obesity.
Contraindication of Ushtrasana
Avoid this pose in case of:
- Back injury
- Neck injury
- High blood pressure
- Low blood pressure